Easy Easter Bunny Hair Bow Tutorial

Now that I have a little girl, I realized I will quickly go bankrupt if I buy every adorable boutique hair bow that I come across! I just can't help myself - especially thanks to Etsy and Pinterest. So in order to save a few dollars and have the perfect hair accessory for every occasion, I decided to learn how to make hair bows for my daughter.

I stumbled across a very easy tutorial over at The Ribbon Retreat's fabulous blog. I loved the results but made a few changes to fit my vision. Here is my tutorial, showing the tweaks that I made to The Ribbon Retreat's design. Enjoy!

Here are the materials you will need:
  • Satiny ribbon (any color) - One 8 inch piece, Two 3 1/2 inch pieces and One 2 1/2 inch piece
  • 3/8 grosgrain ribbon (any color) - One 5 1/2 inch piece, two 3 1/2 inch pieces and One 2 1/2 inch piece and One 2 inch piece
  • Alligator clip
  • Googly eyes
  • Rhinestone (for nose - any color)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • Lighter (to seal ends of ribbons)



















Step 1: To make ears, glue one end of 3 1/2 inch satiny ribbon to one end of the 3 1/2 inch grosgrain ribbon. Make a loop (as shown) and then glue the other ends of the ribbon together. If you glue both ends before making a loop, the ribbon might bunch up. Repeat for second ear.



















Step 2: To make the bunny's belly, glue one end of 2 1/2 inch satiny ribbon to end of 2 1/2 inch grosgrain ribbon strip. Make a loop as shown with satiny ribbon on top. Then glue other ends of ribbon together.


















Step 3: Using the 5 1/2 inch strip of grosgrain ribbon, make a figure 8. Glue the ends together and glue center to make the two circles. Make sure smaller top circle folds down to make the bunny's face.


Step 4: Take 8 inch strip of satiny ribbon and tie a tiny bow. Trim off the ends to desired length. It is important to use the lighter to heat seal the ends of your bow.


















Step 5: Flip over the body of the bunny and glue on the ears and the belly.






















Step 6: Flip over the bunny so it is facing upright. Glue on the bow at the neck.



















Step 7: Take shortest piece of grosgrain ribbon (any color) and hot glue it to the top of your alligator clip.



















Step 8: Decorate the face of your bunny. I used tiny googly eyes and a pink rhinestone to create the nose. Then glue the bunny to your covered hair clip.

Hoppy Easter!

Comments